Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day!

Posted by Unknown


My college degree was in Conservation Biology & Botany. I studied ecology and ecosystems for four years and was determined to not go to the "dark side". After graduating and many attempts to get a job wearing overly tight green pants for the park system or forest service, I landed seasonal jobs until I finally did sell out and landed a good job in corporate America. Man..was the money good. Especially since it didn't end when the seasons changed. Did I really end up changing my dreams and directions for the mighty dollar? Some say that I might have sold out...But I'd like to say it was the rational thing to do to pay my bills.

It's truly not about what you do but rather how you live. I love that the last two months are all about "green" and the things you should buy (spending money) to make the world a better place. We are being guilted into being better people and somebody is making tons of money off us. Don't get me wrong, they are not bad ideas but let's be active vs. passive. It's not about affording a 0% carbon footprint (which hollywood I might add doesn't even come close to) After all, I wasn't a bad person worked 45+ hours a week at a corporate job. I still recycled (most important thing we could ever do) and educated myself about the true state of the world. I'm not seeking to destroy the earth because I haven't installed my cork floors as of yet.
I'm on my soap box I know but today is still a good day. Today is a great day to be thankful for the earth and to know what a mighty system is in place for us. We are stewards of the most beautiful and diverse place in our galaxy.

0 comments: