Thursday, June 5, 2008

A job well done

Posted by Unknown

My husband came to me today and needed help with the diaper genie. He couldn't figure out what to do with it after he emptied it. He was so proud of himself and boasted about his efforts in doing thankless chores around the house. He was struggling as he couldn't figure the dang thing out and obviously had humbled himself to even ask for my help in the first place. I was truly thankful for the task but was dumbfounded that he didn't know. My son is 14 months old. That means....that who do you suppose has done it every other time. Me....the one that does most of the thankless jobs that nobody ever notices. For heaven sake....Do I pat myself on the back every time I clean out the diaper genie, or declare that I just cleaned out the refrigerator?

A friend I once worked with told me that if you got used to doing the jobs that everybody else seems to hate that you would become the better person and ultimately other people would be more likely to perform the easy tasks which in turn cuts down on the work that you have to do yourself. Did that make sense? I like the philosophy actually and it is true. I have found it to be so with everything in my life. If you jump in with both feet you never end up having to go all the way in (unless you're doing the work alone or even like to). When you are always doing the dreaded task people tend to think it's easy and end up doing it themselves as well (reverse psychology you might say) So....Kudos for my husband. Now maybe I can get him to realize how many diapers I actually do change. :)

1 comments:

Julie Walker said...

typical man. that is so funny.