Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy Saint Patricks Day

Posted by Unknown


Since I've had my baby it seems my mind has gone to mush. Truthfully it probably has been a lot longer than that however now my excuse is legitimate. In hopes of regaining my intelligence one little bit at a time I thought I'd start self educating myself. For today, I researched what Saint Patrick's Day is and why in heck I'm wearing green. Here is what I found. I'll keep it simple in hopes that it will be retained for next year.

  • Saint Patrick was an Irish Catholic (this one is obvious)
  • The Shamrock was worn by Saint Patrick symbolizing the Holy Trinity
  • Wearing of Green originated from being a Christian and wearing the shamrock on your body as an outward sign of your faith.
  • The Day almost always falls during lent (another Catholic observance) and has been changed sometimes so to not interfere with Palm Sunday. In 2008, Saint Patrick's Day was actually observed on March 15th. This won't happen again until 2160

I guess I'm two days late in my celebration. Despite that fact I'll still cook the traditional corn beef and cabbage (my mom always did that) and forgo the beer festivities (I don't drink alcohol) even though I'm not Catholic. After all, I have a nephew who was named for this day and I'll always remember him.

2 comments:

Oops, I didn't celebrate it on the 15th either! We all wore green on Monday... along with most people, I'm sure. Thanks for those random fact nonetheless, It's always fun to learn something new... although retaining it is another matter!
Ever have one of these moments?:
"Wow, I didn't know that... or did I?"

SJacobus said...

We went for the calendar marked date, but it did show on a couple calendars online that is was the 15th and then they said it was going to be observed on the 17th.