Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Brunch plans anyone?

Posted by Unknown

So I found this recipe and picture on design sponge this last weekend, with a link from pictures and pancakes. Because of just how good it looks I have decided to follow the recipe and have people over for brunch. I love pretty food but more importantly I love good tasting food. Isn't that eating is supposed to be about? I hope to try it out before but I know it has to beat the fast food breakfast I had this last week while traveling. Why do I ever eat bad food with easy recipes like this? I'll be sure to let you know.

Crispy Ham & Cheese Breakfast Polenta
serves 6

6 cups water
2 cups instant polenta
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 cup grated parmesan
salt & pepper
1 cup grated gruyere
6 slices ham
2-3 tbs olive oi
l3 leeks, cleaned thoroughly & thinly sliced
2 cups baby spinach
6 large eggs

Place the water in a saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Slowly whisk in the polenta and cook while stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in butter, parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Pour half the polenta on a lightly greased 12×8.5″ half sheet pan and spread evenly. Cover with slices of ham and gruyere cheese and then spread remaining polenta over top evenly. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.

Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat and add leeks. Cook slowly until tender, about 8-10 minutes, adding 1 more tablespoon of oil if needed. Add spinach and toss until just wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Cut polenta into 6 large squares and trim the edges evenly. Then cut each square into 2 rectangles. Heat a non-stick sauté pan or cast iron griddle over medium high heat. Cook the polenta for 4-6 minutes per side or until golden brown on top and cheese has melted. Serve with a scoop of sauted leeks and spinach and top with an egg your favorite way

2 comments:

Karynn said...

That looks SO yummy. Did you make it yet? How did it come out?

tracey said...

You know, I love a yummy breakfast, but I never take time for it. Why is that?? Perhaps I'll have to take a try with this recipe.
Thanks.